Oven baked zucchini fries are naturally gluten free and make a great side dish or late night snack.
Wondering what you can use yet another zucchini for? In an effort to make healthier decisions in our late night snacking we discovered that these low carb, baked zucchini fries were not only a healthy alternative but they were pretty darn delicious as well!
Now we enjoy these as a fun side or for an afternoon snack with the kiddos. (Yes, they even love them!)
Are Zucchini Fries Healthier Than French Fries?
Most definitely yes! A serving of these zucchini fries contains only 4 carbs, making them perfect for a low carb or keto option as well. A single potato contains 30 grams of carbs before any sort of preparation, then adding frying on top of that, makes these a much healthier option. Zucchini themselves are primarily made up of water which makes them not only low carb, but low calorie as well!
Don’t think that just because these are low carb and low calorie that they are also low on flavor!
The zucchini basically just becomes our carrier for the addictive crumb coating (not to mention dipping sauce!) made primarily of parmesan cheese. Did someone say flavor?
These easy parmesan zucchini fries use almond flour, mixed with the parmesan, to make a gluten free zucchini fry, as most versions call for breadcrumbs that contain gluten.
How Do You Cut Zucchini Sticks
No need to peel the zucchini for these fries, just wash it well first.
- To cut zucchini sticks for fries, begin by cutting the zucchini in half width-wise across the middle.
- Next, take each half section and cut it in half again, this time length-wise, creating 4 pieces.
- Take each zucchini quarter and place it flat side down on the cutting board. Then cut each quarter lengthwise into 4-8 pieces depending on the desired size.
Making Zucchini Fries From Scratch
After your zucchini is cut into sticks, then simply make an assembly line.
- Dip each zucchini stick in egg mixture
- Coat each stick with almond flour parmesan mixture
- Place on baking sheet and repeat.
- Bake and serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
What to Serve with Zucchini Fries
We love to make an easy fry sauce for these of 50/50 mix of ketchup and mayonnaise. If you want to spice it up a little, the add a touch of pickled jalapeno juice!
Oven baked zucchini fries are best eaten hot and fresh to maintain their crispy exterior. However, if you have leftovers store them in an airtight dish in the fridge. When you are ready to eat them the re-crisp them in the oven at 425° F for about 10 minutes until hot and crispy again.
- 1 Medium Zucchini
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Pickled Jalapeno Juice (optional but recommended)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice zucchini into sticks by first cutting the zucchini in half width-wise. Take each short half and cut them into quarters length-wise. From there continue cutting length-wise into sticks your desired size. Repeat with the other half.
- on a plate, or in a shallow dish, combine the almond flour, parmesan and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- In another shallow dish, combine the egg and water and stir well with a fork to combine.
- To assemble the fries: first, dip a zucchini stick in egg mixture, then dip it into the almond mixture, flipping it to coat all sides. Place on lined baking sheet.
- Repeat this process until all the zucchini is used up.
- Bake the zucchini fries in the oven for 35-40 minutes until edges are crispy brown.
- While fries are baking then make dipping sauce.
For the Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, ketchup and jalapeno juice.
- Serve the fries hot with dipping sauce in the side.
These are best eaten fresh, but leftovers can be stored, covered, in the fridge. Re-crisp in the oven for about 10 minutes to reheat these before serving.
Serving Size:aprox 6 fries
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
*Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.