Fall is rapidly approaching and with the crisp cold air comes the desire for all things cozy. Nothing says cozy like waking up and sipping your coffee while the smell of baked oatmeal slowly makes its way across the kitchen…
Naturally gluten free, this Best Baked Oatmeal Recipe is my take on a classic that has been around for years. Also called Amish Baked Oatmeal, I first discovered this when I was staying with a lovely family in the Dominican Republic and I couldn’t believe I hadn’t tasted it before.
Everyone seems to have their own variations on this, and yes you can make it a million different ways! This version of the recipe is a classic baked oatmeal and lends itself very well to whatever you want to put in it.
Personally, for week-day breakfasts I like to keep things a bit lighter on sugar and add any additional sweetener in the form of fruit.
With hints of cinnamon and brown sugar, we love this straight from the oven. It is delicious served warm with just a bit of milk poured over the top and accompanied by fresh seasonal fruit.
What are Some Other Variations I Can Make?
Really you can make this with whatever fruit is in season.
• A classic Fall favorite is to include bite sized pieces of apple stirred in among the batter. The apple pieces soften in the oven and taste lovely with the light cinnamon and brown sugar flavors.
• For a Summer variation, try adding blueberries or raspberries! Fold them into the batter just before you pour the batter into the pan.
• Looking for a weekend treat? Another variation for this baked oatmeal recipe is to fold in bite size pieces of banana and some mini dark chocolate chips…mmmm
Is This Recipe Good For a Quick Breakfast?
Best Baked Oatmeal lends itself perfectly to weekday work, and school, mornings as it comes together in just five minutes! I love that this is all prepared by the time your oven is heated.
• Want to make this recipe even faster? Mix your dry ingredients the night before and store the mixed wet ingredients in the fridge. In the morning just give a quick stir to mix it all together and pour it in the pan!
• My favorite way to give this baked oatmeal recipe more protein for busy days is to serve it with a dollop of plain greek yogurt accompanied by the fresh fruit.
• I love to double this recipe, as it is delicious re-heated. It then lasts us for 2-3 breakfasts during the week which is always a plus!
- 3 C. Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (Gluten Free)
- 1/3 C. Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 C. Canola Oil
- 1 C. Milk (dairy free is fine if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350° .
- Prepare a 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray, or brush with a light coat of canola oil.
- Combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt ad cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together eggs, oil and milk.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and stir well until evenly mixed.
- Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared baking pan and bake until puffy and golden, about 35 minutes.
- Serve warm with milk or greek yogurt and berries.
To add some extra protein to your morning, serve with a dollop of plain greek yogurt and fresh berries!
See Blog post for additional variation ideas!
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 503mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g
*Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.
Did you make this recipe? Leave me a comment below to tell me your thoughts on it, or tag me on instagram @mountainberry_eats to show me your favorite easy breakfasts!