Green Breakfast Smoothie
Smoothies are my jam! Though this is listed as a green breakfast smoothie, I typically like to enjoy smoothies for lunch. The great thing about smoothies is they are naturally gluten free, and can be enjoyed for any meal or snack of the day!
Lunch is the meal that I don’t cook. Cutting down on cooking time when there are 5 people eating in the house is always a win! Smoothies, smoothie bowls, sandwiches, leftovers, salads, these are the lunch go-to’s.
Some people will look at this smoothie and say “yes! That sounds amazing!” others will be like “what the heck is anything green doing in a smoothie?”
I can only eat so many salads. Salads can be amazing and full of flavor, but for me, they take FOREVER to eat! If I’m trying to get all my leafy greens in salad form, then I definitely get salad burnout.
I have many smoothie recipes that I really pack the greens into, and yes, you can definitely taste it. My taste buds don’t mind the flavor and I love knowing all the goodness I am adding to my body.
However, this green breakfast smoothie is a great compromise. Yes, it is green. Yes you will be putting healthy food into your body. Does it taste like salad? No!
How does something healthy and green still taste delicious?
- The key to healthy and delicious is finding the ratio of greens that are just complimented by the fruit and other ingredients. This way your smoothie is not just overwhelmed with leafy green flavor.
- For the best flavor, use bananas that are slightly speckled with brown spots. The more ripe the bananas, the sweeter the smoothie will be.
- You can adjust the honey to your liking, but bear in mind that honey is sugar so it will be adjusting the “health” level as well.
Is this kid friendly?
- This is the only green smoothie my kids actually ask for!
I like to try and sneak greens in all my kids smoothies, and sometimes I go a bit overboard. This one they love and request as “can we please make that one green smoothie that we like this time?” 😂
I can’t have dairy, can I still make this?
- I have made this by substituting the yogurt and almond milk with coconut milk and it is delicious!
- There are also many dairy free yogurts out there, so if you have a favorite then I would recommend trying that!
Can I really have this for a whole meal?
- Everybody has varying dietary needs so only you can decide this.
- This smoothie does provide 15 grams of protein, though sometimes I add a scoop of unflavored protein powder if I make this for lunch and know I will be busy.
- If you need additional calories, maybe this would be better accompanying your breakfast or as a post-workout smoothie or an afternoon pick-me up.
I love how quick and easy this is for any meal you choose.
Need More Easy Breakfast Ideas?
- Flourless Banana Pancakes
- Muffin Tin Egg Bites
- Breakfast Parfait
- Easy Homemade Granola
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Scones
Green Breakfast Smoothie
Though this is listed as a green breakfast smoothie, I typically like to enjoy smoothies for lunch. The great thing about smoothies is they are naturally gluten free, and can be enjoyed for any meal or snack of the day! This recipe packs 15 grams of protein and has the option for a dairy-free version. Did I mention my kids love this? Win, win!
- 1 C. Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1 C. Baby Spinach, Packed
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 C. Almond Milk
- 16 Ice Cubes
- Combine all ingredients in blender and Purée until smooth about 1 minute.
- divide between 2 glasses and serve!
- Ingredients can be adjusted to taste. If your bananas are very ripe then it will be sweeter. You can always add more or less honey according to personal preference.
- You can make this dairy free by substituting the yogurt and almond milk with coconut milk, or using your favorite dairy free yogurt!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 7gSugar: 31gProtein: 15g
*Nutrition information is automatically calculated and may not always be accurate.
6 thoughts on “Green Breakfast Smoothie”
I love green smoothies! So healthy and delicious. I’ve never tried adding avocado. Will definitely give your recipe a try!
As long as you keep the ratios right then avocado is a great addition! 😋
Absolutely delicious and so refreshing! A great way to start the day 🙂
I love a good brekky smoothie and yours was delish – perfect for on the go
Thanks! I love how quick smoothies are for anytime of the day.
This smoothie is so yummy! It’s so nice to start the day with a healthy and filling drink like this.